As the weeks fly by and we get closer to the arrival of our new baby, I can feel the anxiety of sleep deprivation kicking in – that’s the problem with knowing exactly what you will be walking into isn’t it?!
Since my baby shower, everything is starting to feel real and it’s been difficult to sleep as well. The nesting instinct has kicked in and I can now prepare for everything I need.
I had my my second child three years ago and a lot has changed on the baby market, with the latest innovations being introduced to make the lives of parents so much easier. I couldn’t be happier to get to experience the award-winning sleep aids that The GRO company has introduced to the South African market, through TommmeeTippee. As a mama that knows how precious (rare) sleep is and a proud ambassador for the brand, I wanted to shed some light on what you can expect with these dynamic sleep aids. If you’re expecting a new baby or have a little one, you might want to add some of these sleep aids to your shopping list!
This is going to be my first winter baby, so something that has been on my mind a lot, is how warm a room should be with a new born. I clearly remember my granny forcing my aunt to stay in a very hot bedroom when my nephew was born, but this isn’t safe. The GroEgg will be a valuable addition to our sleeping space and I’m confident in the peace of mind it will give me.
What makes it special?
The Gro-egg changes colour, according to the temperature of a room, giving parents assurance of a safe sleeping environment. Because one can see the egg from a distance, you don’t have to keep walking up to it to know the temperature of the room.
Here is what the difference colours mean:
- Yellow glow: comfortable temperature for baby
- Blue glow: suggests it’s too cold
- Red glow: suggests it’s too hot
In addition, the egg makes a great and gentle night light, when you don’t want the room to be too bright.
I’m already at ease that my mom won’t have to nag me about bringing up the room temperature, we will all see for ourselves 🙂
These little friends are there to play sounds, sense crying, comfort and soothe baby. I love this little friend, because it’s portable and travel friendly, PLUS, I know that it’s one of those items that baby will grow up with and use even as a toddler.
How they work:
- Their built in CrySensor allows them to listen out for noises made by baby. When the CrySensor is activated, the Grofriends will automatically start playing their soothing sounds and help settle your child back to sleep.
- Ollie The Owl and Percy The Penguin can hear all noises within a room but are specifically programmed to react to crying or sharp sounds which may disturb your child.
The GroSwaddle is a hip-healthy (safe) wrap to help newborns sleep better. They are proven to work well because young babies love to feel as safe, secure and warm as they did in mama’s womb. Swaddling has been a tradition for many families for years, as it mimics the closeness of the womb.
Babies are sensitive and startle a lot in their early days and swaddling helps to supress these bumpy movements – helping both you and baby to get more sleep. The GroSwaddle is made from a soft and stretchy cotton which will easily and comfortably wrap around baby.
I am planning on introducing baby to swaddling from our nap and night time in the hospital.
- Recreates the comforting, soothing feeling of being held
- Available in various beautiful designs
- Best for 0-3 months (max weight 6.5kg)
- Lightweight, breathable and flexible so you can’t so you can’t over wrap your baby
- No Velcro or ties, and the soft flexible cotton ensures you can’t swaddle too tightly
- Suitable for over or under arm swaddling
- Machine washable to 40 degrees
The GRO Snug
The GroSnug is often referred to as the only bedding you will need for your newborn! It’s a 2-in-1 swaddle, that is versatile enough to enable you to swaddle with baby’s arms in our out for a comfortable sleep.
Baby feels comforted and secure while parents are reassured that baby is able to sleep in a hip-healthy position. The Grosnug has a unique shaped skirt giving baby plenty of room to kick and sleep in a natural froggy legged position.
Besides the beautiful designs, these features caught my eye:
- Easy to use with no folding needed
- Suitable from birth, accommodating baby from 2.2 kg to 5.5 kg
- The long zip opens from the bottom, allowing for fuss-free nappy changes.
- The unique design creates space for Hip-healthy natural leg position. It has been officially acknowledged as “HipHealthy” by the International Hip Displaysia Institute.
Have an older child? Gro has something for you too! You will want to read up on the GroClock for toddlers – a unique sleep aid and the GroRobe which keeps the busy little ones snug after bath-time, in preparation for your evening sleep routine.
The Gro Company products are available from Takealot.com, Baby City, Charleys Boxes, Loot or selected BabiesRUs stores.
Modern Zulu Mom