In light of schools and society adding constant pressure on our children, we need to raise more positive children. I was helping my son prepare for his first class speech (I was surprised to discover that they do speeches in Grade 1; we certainly didn’t in our day) and as we went along, his anxiety started to show. Our practise session ended in tears as he was telling me “this is too hard for me and I can’t remember everything”. I might have been a little pushy – we took a break and I made him stand in front of the mirror and repeat after me “I can do anything if I try. I am a champion. Nothing is impossible”.
From that moment, I thought it would be a good idea to incorporate affirmations into our evening routine. Here are some simple affirmations that you can try at home for children of all ages:
- I am important
- I am a caring and kind friend
- I am talented and special
- I can do anything if I try
- God is always protecting me
- I am respectful to everyone around me
- I am perfect just the way I am
- I believe in myself
- I love my body
- I can learn anything and I can know anything
- I can say no when I am uncomfortable with something
- I can think for myself. I am smart and capable
- I am worthy and loved by my family
- I am truthful and forgiving
- I am grateful for everything I have
You can write /print these affirmations to add lunchboxes of your older children as a reminder of how awesome they are!!!
As our children grow and encounter new challenges in this crazy-crazy world, it’s important for us as parents to equip them with a positive sense of self.
Modern Zulu Mom