It’s definitely Christmas time – the buzz is undeniable and it’s so exciting to be around special family and friends. This weekend, I woke up and made these simple chocolate mint cupcakes for the kiddies to celebrate World Cupcake Day with Royal Baking Powder. By now, I don’t need to tell you more about my love for chocolate – let’s just say the bowls were very clean before I even washed them.
If you would like to try this simple recipe at home, you will need:
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) cooking oil
- 125ml (1/2 cup) castor sugar
- 5ml (1tsp) peppermint essence
- A few drops of green food colorant
- 500ml (2cups) cake flour
- 15ml (1Tbsp) Royal Baking Powder
- 2ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 200ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 50g slab mint chocolate, coarsely grated
For the icing, you will need:
- 375ml (1,5 cups) icing sugar
- 30ml (2Tsbp) cacao powder
- 45ml warm water
- Extra chocolate mint chocolate, coarsely decorated for decorating
1. Whisk eggs, oil and castor sugar together until light and creamy. Add essence and food colorant and whisk lightly
2. Sift flour, Royal Baking Powder and salt together. Add to egg mixture, alternately with milk. Fold in grated chocolate and mix well.
3. Spoon the mixture into paper cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
4. Icing: sift icing sugar and cocoa powder together. Add warm water and beat until just smooth and creamy in consistency. Ice the cooled cupcakes. Decorate with grated mint chocolate
Don’t forget to take a picture of your delicious dish and share it on the Royal Baking Powder Facebook page @RoyalBakingPowderSA and use the hashtag #GetItRightWithRoyal
If you celebrate Christmas, I’m wishing you a wonderful time with your families!
Modern Zulu Mom