Known as a super food, coconut oil has so many benefits, some of which are not widely known. I started using coconut oil in August last year, when my sister recommended it to me as a hair and body moisturiser. I buy mine from Dischem for less than R80 which I think is a steal for the amount of value it offers. Here are some of it’s best uses:
BEST USES FOR BABY/CHILDREN:
- Boost immunity during pregnancy – coconut oil contains lauric acid, an important fatty acid, which protects the immune system of your growing fetus and new born baby. Take a spoon for your daily immune dose.
- Teething pain – use it to rub onto your baby’s gums when they are teething. It contains natural anti-inflammatory properties that can ease the discomfort.
- Cradle cap/Eczema– rub into baby’s face/scalp to soothe and treat the dryness.
- Hair detangler – apply a small amount of coconut oil to the hair while it’s still damp then comb out or apply at night and wash off in the morning.
- Nappy rash treatment – coconut oil relieves pain, redness and itching caused by nappy rash.
- Nipple cream for mom – it will heal and repair sore, cracked nipples and you don’t have the stress about cleaning it off before a feed, because it is a natural, chemical-free product that is safe for baby to consume.
- Massage oil – children of all ages love massages, rub into their damp skin after an evening bath, as part of a soothing bedtime routine.
BEST USES FOR BEAUTY:
- Moisturising body butter/ body oil– this is moisture magic!! Use as an oil or mix with shea butter for a thicker texture.
- Face moisturiser – I use it about 3 times a week after my evening shower. When used under the eyes, it helps to reduce wrinkles and puffiness.
- Make up remover – apply to your face, avoiding eye area. It’s great for removing those mascara/eyeliner stains and offers instant moisture at the same time.
- Lip balm – it quickly softens and treats dry/cracked lips.
- Cold sore treatment – coconut oil quickens the healing and helps avoid scarring. This is a big one for me because I’m prone to cold sores all year round.
- Stretchmark treatment – mix with olive oil, almond oil and vitamin E oil.
- Sunburn treatment – soothes inflamed skin and rehydrates the skin.
- Cuticle treatment – the coconut oil will make your cuticles softer, which will make it easier for you to cut them off. Yay to no more achy cuticles!
- Hair conditioner/treatment – I moisturise my hair/weaves in coconut oil. You can also use it to treat your hair before a wash. For a deep-care hair treatment, apply it generously to your hair and scalp, cover with a shower cap for 30 minutes before washing your hair with shampoo.
- Massage oil – mix it with your other favourite oils to make a massage oil that will leave your skin feeling softer and smoother. Best after a bath/shower.
Be warned, it melts very quickly, so keep it in a cool place during the day in summer. Conversely it hardens when it’s cold so you may need to melt it a little on colder days 🙂
All this for under R100 for a tub? AMAZING!!
Modern Zulu Mom